Dear Maine Elks Association Members:
You all know the saying “Time flies when you’re having fun”, well that’s true for Sandi and I this year, since my last letter we have traveled 10,000 miles to Reno and back; (with side trips to Portland, Oregon to see kids and grandkids) around Maine from Farmington to Ellsworth to Old Town to Rockland to Gardiner to Brunswick to Biddeford Saco to Togus VA to Augusta etc.
July started off with our trip to the Grand Lodge Convention in Reno, Nevada. What a wonderful time we had representing the great State of Maine. Thanks to our MEA Membership Chairman Ron Voisine, we received 2 awards for Membership Improvement but we were also able to be seated in a prime location during the daily business meetings.
The memory I will treasure the most was when I had the honor and privilege to carry our MEA State Flag upon the stage along with all the other states and the flags representing all branches of the military and first responder organizations. Thank you all MEA Members for allowing me to do this!
Almost immediately upon our return we were invited to Farmington Lodge on 7/29/17 to their Annual Steak and Lobster Bake. What a great menu for us steak lovers. We had a very interesting history tour around Wilton, the home town of ER Claris Ranger, (PER, PDDGER, PSP) and his First Lady Roberta; Thank You!
We then traveled to Ellsworth Lodge for a fish fry and our State Presidents visit and also to accompany a disabled Veteran from Massachusetts on a fishing trip, which was sponsored by Littleton, Colorado Elks Lodge #1650 and an organization called “Vacation for Warriors”. They finance 1 trip per year for a Veteran’s bucket list which costs around $20K plus donations from the Ellsworth Lodge and local supporters of Veteran’s.
Our Presidents visit to the Old Town Lodge was a lot of fun with great food and a great night of music and surprise fireworks followed by the summer MEA State Meeting on 8/6/17. Thank you, Old Town Lodge for hosting the meeting and for all the Lodges that took the time to attend. We will see you soon in October at the Brunswick Lodge for the fall meeting on 10/7 (Visit) and 10/8 meeting.
We were able to take part in the 2017 Owie Box MCCP Ride (Thanks Rod Bauer for heading it up) with the starting Lodge being Rockland then on to Gardiner Lodge for Lunch and a stop at Brunswick Lodge with the ending Lodge being Biddeford Saco which was also our State President Visit. They served a Great steak dinner and a band for the end of the ride. Our hotel was right on the ocean with a beautiful sunrise then off to Bentley’s for Breakfast before heading home. We thank all the Lodges for taking part and Biddeford Saco for giving us a great visit.
To add another 2,000 miles to our year we went on the 1 st Elks Adventure from Boston to Bermuda. We had 54 people get on the bus at Waterville Elks to go to Boston to Board the Norwegian Dawn Cruise Ship and travel to Bermuda and back to the bus to be picked up and taken back to the Lodge. This trip was proposed by 2 new members of our Lodge and in turn raised $2,000.00 for MCCP which was donated back by the cruise lines and AAA of Waterville! What a fun way to donate money for the Kids! Thanks Nikole and
1. The President visit to Sanford Lodge on 9/8 and 9/9 to take part in the chili/chowder cook off and their annual MCCP Golf Tournament.
2. Central District Deputy Clinic at Lewiston on 9/10.
3. “65-25” Party at Waterville Elk’s right after Friday Buffet (Beef tips and Seafood Newburgh all for $9) Sandi turns 65 and it’s our 25 th Wedding Anniversary and we have hired The Pat Pepin Band for a night of dancing and fun (No gifts just join us and enjoy)
4. On 9/16 we will have our State President visit at the York Lodge for a steak dinner and overnight stay.
5. The Central District Soccer Shoot will be on 10/1 at CARA Fields in Augusta at 10 am.
6. The State Presidents Visit to Brunswick Lodge will be on 10/7 with our Fall State Meeting on 10/8.
7. The State President visit to Lewiston’s Talent Show on 10/14 (No I will not be singing or dancing!)
8. The State Soccer Shoot at Augusta Lodge 10/15.
9. The VA Stand Down at Togus from 9am to 4 pm 10/21.
10. The Regional Soccer Shoot at Nashua, NH 11/3 to 11/5. (Thank you Lisa and Sue!!)
11. November 5 – 9 GER visit to Maine. All Lodges please check the notice from Andy Constantine.
Re: Various activities with the GER and on 11/7/17 a Reception and dinner will be held at 6pm at Waterville Elks #905 Banquet. A Dinner menu and list of hotels with RSVP will be sent out soon from our Lodge.
a.) MCCP License Plates: If you have not done so, lease sign up for your new license plate (s) to support MCCP our MEA Major State Project. October 1 st is the deadline to get 2,000 signed up. As of today we have 1949 people signed up. We are 97% there. Please get your $25 in even if you sign up to donate to make this happen! It is FOR THE KIDS!!
b.) Please do what you can for the Elks National Relief Fund for “Harvey” Victims in Texas
c.) Fall State Meeting 10/8/17 at Brunswick Lodge
Winter State Meeting 1/7/18 at Augusta Lodge.
Spring State Meeting and Budget Meeting (State Presidents Homecoming) 3/3 and 3/4/18.
MEA State Convention May 4 th thru 6 th , 2018
“We will always respect our Veterans and protect our children”
David K. Anderson, MEA State President 2017-2018